Thursday, October 11, 2007

Love & Logic by Jim Fay and Foster Cline et al.

For those who have never heard of Love and Logic, I HIGHLY recommend that you check it out! Back in the day when I was in graduate school, I was introduced to this style of parenting (also known as consultant parenting) and completely fell in love with it. No, I was not a parent at the time that I began using the techniques described in it, but I did work with kids ages 5-18 every day! In fact, I loved it so much AND it worked so well for me when I was working in the school system that I volunteered to help my supervisor and later colleague out with parent and educator courses on the topic. Now, I am looking at it from a parent perspective. I have used many of the techniques and I can vouch for their usefulness!!! If you have yet to check it out, here are a few suggestions for the books that I have personally read and used . . .

Helicopters, Drill Sergeants, and Consultants

This is a mini book with a mini description of the different parenting styles, helicopter parents (one style that is VERY popular these days), drill sergeants, and consultants. Which parent are you?



Parenting with Love & Logic

This is one of the first books that was released on Love and Logic, but has been recently updated and revised. It contains the theory behind the techniques as well as some practical ideas and suggestions for real-child issues. That is the thing that I love sooooo much about Love and Logic. The techniques and ideas shared have been tried and shared using real-world problems. It's not just tried and true in theory; it's tried and true in reality!

As a side note . . . I tend to be sarcastic at times and so does my husband. As a Love & Logic parent, you want to adapt these techniques to fit your personality, but still keep your child safe and from harm. I have been able to adapt these techniques to work with my sarcasm, but have also learned that sarcasm just needs to be dropped completely during some occasions! :)


Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood

This is probably my all-time favorite of the bunch that I have read! It puts things into very simple terms and gives some great ideas for working with children ages birth to six. If you have never heard of the "Uh-Oh Song," then you should really check out this book. I used it a lot when my son was younger instead of using "No!" Though it does delay them from saying "No!" to you ALL the time, it does not stop them completely. Kids will be kids and being a kid means using the word "No!" :)

I am currently taking a refresher course through the local school system that is focused on using Love and Logic with this age group. It is so nice to have a quick refresher on the different ideas and to hear other ideas shared. It can be soooo refreshing!


Love & Logic Solutions for Kids with Special Needs

Do you have a child with special needs? This book explains that the love and logic techniques work with EVERY child. It gives not only the basic principles behind the techniques, but also once again gives real world examples that have worked.

I don't remember if it is in this book or his "sequel" to this book, but there is also a ton of great legal information as well. You can find information on the American Disabilities Act, specific protocal that applies to children with special needs within the school system, and so much more!

And, last but not least, this book contains my personal favorite example of a helicopter parent! When you check it out, be looking for the lawyer story! It's a classic that makes me laugh every single time! Please note: These stories are true! They are not made up or stretched in any way!! :)

Grandparenting with Love & Logic

It is very likely that you were not raised with Love & Logic. My guess is that your parents were either helicopters or drill sergeants. Though this may not always be true, generationally speaking, it is highly likely that it is. And, don't get me wrong . . . I'm sure that your parents raised you with love and logic . . . just not Love & Logic!

This is a great book for grandparents. It can explain the principles behind the techniques and provide grandparents an overview of what you are doing as a parent. I love that it addresses that parenting has changed over the years and it does not mean that they were horrible parents if their techniques were different. It gives some great ideas of how grandparents can contribute to a Love & Logic household without interfering.

WARNING: From personal experience, I have learned that it may be a good idea to think about how you present this book to grandparents! It is good to confirm that their style of parenting was not wrong or bad, but rather make sure that they are aware that this is what takes place in your home and that you would love them to join you in enforcing it! Put the ball in their court, but do NOT cause hurt feelings! :)

Teaching with Love & Logic

This book presents the principles from an educator point of view and provides great ideas of how to become a Love & Logic classroom and school. This book was actually one of my required textbooks for my graduate work in classroom management. I think that that alone speaks for the quality of the approaches and techniques within it.



The Pearls of Love and Logic for Parents and Teachers
This is a great resource that takes everyday problems and gives examples of how to solve them. This is such a great resource and can be used as a whole or as individual lessons.






There are so many more amazing books and resources out there if you would like to do further reading or research. For more information, check out http://www.loveandlogic.com/. Please feel free to share any questions, concerns, or success stories with me! I love to hear them and am happy to share my ideas to specific issues as well! Good luck and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder. I too learned about these back in college when I had no children of my own. It is so interesting to re-read them as a parent!

    I haven't read the Helicopter, Drill Sargent or Consultant one. But I think I will look into that one. I already know I am a "helicopter" and need to work on backing off a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to get my hands on one of these Love & Logic books. Do you have them or did you check them out at the library?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the majority of them! I emailed you, so let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for your comments! I love to hear reader's thoughts and respond to each one within the comment section. Please feel free to subscribe to the comment feed to ensure you can fully participate in the conversations.

Comments on posts older than 14 days are first approved through comment moderation. Word verification should not be turned on, so please notify me if it randomly appears.