Monday, November 10, 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini


Khaled Hosseini, author of The Kite Runner, is back with another tale from Afghanistan. In A Thousand Splendid Suns, Hosseini introduces us to Mariam and Laila, two women from very different backgrounds that are led to a very unlikely relationship and future. Hosseini once again weaves the country’s volatile history into his amazing storytelling, creating another page turner that not only keeps the reader’s attention, but also gives his audience a peak into life in his home country.

Hosseini has a way of writing that catches his reader’s attention, draws the reader in, and personally, I just cannot put the book down. Even despite the horrors that the characters face, I just keep turning these pages again and again! I found myself relating to the characters, even despite the many differences. And, most importantly, I found myself wanting to read more and more about Afghanistan, a country that as an American we often hold negative views today. I appreciate the inside view of this country and its people and history. I appreciate the different perspective, and I now have a new admiration for those Afghan women that experience such atrocities and still remain strong. As Miriam’s mother tells her, “Women like us. We endure. It’s all we have.” And, this story is just that – one about the endurance of women. One that I would recommend all women AND men to read!

Want another opinion?
Park Benches & Bookends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you in advance for your comments! I love to hear reader's thoughts and respond to each one within the comment section. Please feel free to subscribe to the comment feed to ensure you can fully participate in the conversations.

Comments on posts older than 14 days are first approved through comment moderation. Word verification should not be turned on, so please notify me if it randomly appears.